What is Skilled Nursing? Everything You Need to Know
Skilled nursing is complex, high-level medical care provided under the supervision of a team of medical professionals, including doctors, nurses and specialists. If you’re exploring your options for skilled nursing facilities, there’s a lot you’ll want to learn.
Skilled nursing is designed to provide either short- or long-term nursing care in a hospital setting, senior living community, skilled nursing facility or rehabilitation center.
Skilled nursing care can include any of the following:
- Wound care
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Speech therapy
- IV therapy
- Management of chronic diseases, chronic illnesses, and debilitating conditions or disabilities
When do people most often need skilled nursing care? Short-term skilled nursing is most often recommended after a surgery or procedure to help build strength before returning to everyday life. Long-term skilled care is beneficial for chronic conditions or pain.
Benefits of Short-Term Skilled Nursing Care
While it may be tempting for older adults to return home immediately after a hospital stay, the benefits of short-term skilled nursing are numerous. The professional services, individualized attention, and insurance coverage are all reasons to seriously consider choosing short-term skilled nursing care for yourself or your loved one after an injury or procedure.
Here are some often overlooked additional benefits to opting for short-term skilled nursing care in a senior living community:
- Reduced risk of rehospitalization. After being hospitalized for a serious injury or fall, there is always a risk of rehospitalization. Skilled nursing care can minimize this risk by helping you build back your strength before returning home.
- Specialized interdisciplinary therapy. Many senior living communities offer short-term or long-term rehabilitative care that focuses on physical, occupational and speech therapies.
- Around-the-clock care. You benefit from 24/7 care and support as needed.
- Personalized care and assessments. You receive ongoing progress assessments and enjoy a personalized level of care that helps you thrive.
- Dietary support. Diet is important when recovering from an injury or illness. You can maintain a healthy diet throughout your recovery journey with nutritious meals provided on-site.
Skilled Nursing Care in a Full-Service Senior Living Community
Senior living communities are uniquely designed to offer various levels of living, including:
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
- Skilled Nursing
Such communities provide a wide range of amenities and services to appeal to individuals at every level of living. The emphasis is on whole-person wellness and a vibrant lifestyle; the community does all it can to help each resident maintain their independence for as long as possible.
Explore Skilled Nursing Care Walnut Place
Whether you or your loved one are in need of long-term skilled nursing or short-term skilled nursing, senior living communities provide comfortable apartment-living, dynamic programming, assistance with the activities associated with daily living, and targeted therapies aimed at improving quality of life.
At Walnut Place in North Dallas, Texas, we take an individualized approach to care with a personal touch. Our staff is highly trained and dedicated to helping residents feel a sense of independence, respect and dignity. In addition to skilled nursing care and therapies, we also provide helpful services:
- Furnished private and semiprivate rooms
- Twice-weekly housekeeping and weekly bed linen service
- 3 daily meals with personal menu options
- 24/7 nursing and aide care
- Personalized programming and activities
- 24/7 emergency call system
- Pharmacy services
Our skilled nursing facility is ready to meet your needs by supporting you or your loved one with the support you need to make life easier. Learn more about our skilled nursing care and contact us to schedule a visit.